THE FOUNDATIONS OF FAST®: OUR MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
Families & Schools Together, Inc. is a non-profit organization whose mission is the development and worldwide dissemination of FAST®, the internationally acclaimed parent engagement program.
Founded in 1988 by scientific researcher and Professor of Social Work Dr. Lynn McDonald, FAST helps children thrive by building stronger, more supportive relationships at home. Built on evidence-based practices and rigorously tested, FAST consistently produces statistically significant improvements in children’s behavior, emotional well-being and academic performance while building social capital among families, schools and communities.
One unwavering belief forms the foundation of FAST®:
No matter where they may live, what language they speak, or what circumstances they live in, parents love and want the very best for their children. Yet at one time or another, virtually every family faces challenges – from health problems to economic instability – that affect parents’ ability to provide the care and guidance their children need to thrive.
Families & Schools Together, Inc. exists to make a critical difference in the midst of these challenges by empowering parents, strengthening families and creating social networks that give children the opportunity for fulfilling, productive lives.
In addition to being evidence-based, FAST is values-based. Every individual who implements FAST upholds and demonstrates FAST Values in every aspect of his or her involvement.
The ten core values of FAST are as follows:
- Parents are capable of being the primary teachers and nurturers for their own children.
- Families are central and critical to children’s educational performance.
- Stress and social isolation diminish parental effectiveness; social support increases parental effectiveness.
- Trusting relationships support the ability of families to access helping resources.
- Policies and practices of organizations should always support and include parents to enhance the parent child relationship, rather than undercut or isolate the parent from his/her child.
- Schools should be welcoming to all families.
- Alcohol and drug abuse keeps families from succeeding; prevention, intervention and treatment of the problems of drug misuse increases the family’s ability to succeed.
- Collaboration across systems to address the needs of all children is a necessary and important process.
- Poverty, racism, and sexism adversely affect children in their development.
- All parents love their children, and want a better life for them.
We have reached thousands of families in 20 countries around the world, but many more need the hope and help that FAST is proven to provide. Please join us in our efforts to help children thrive. Contact us by email or call us toll-free at 888.629.2481 to learn more about how FAST changes lives.